Saturday, January 1, 2011

How do Trains in Europe Work


How do Trains in Europe Work?
I'm going to Portugal in a few months and want to check out the following 3 places, after I want to return to Portugal until I leave Europe. -Madrid -Barcelona -Paris I was hoping to take the train but I have no idea how it works. Has anyone ever done such a thing. Should I just get there then find out the schedule and stay in hostels in each city? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Other - Europe - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I like the guidebooks and travel advice from Rick Steves' travel site. He has guidebooks on European rail travel and railpasses at: http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/ But in general...it's not really anything exotic or intimidating. You figure out from a schedule when the train leaves, find your way to the nearest train station where that train stops, buy a ticket, and board the train when it arrives. A conductor will be by soon to punch your ticket. Rail travel's a lot of fun, and you see a lot more than if you were flying. Have fun!
2 :
ask the man in seat 61 seriously !! that's the name of his website and he knows everything about trains http://www.seat61.com/