Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I measure ingredients for baking without scales? Please help daughters birthday emergency


How can I measure ingredients for baking without scales? Please help daughters birthday emergency!?
Hi, it is my daughters birthday and she wants fairy cakes which would be very simple if we wernt living in Portugal on my husbands work contract and have no scales!! I normally use 125g of flour, butter & caster sugar & 2 eggs (plus a bit of milk) Can anyone please either help me convert that, or give me a different recipe please. I am from the UK so if you are a kind US reply I have no idea what a cup is??? Thank you so much!
Cooking & Recipes - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
125g flour is generally equal to 1 cup (8 oz). Even though weight is a better way of baking, most American recipes are reflected in volume measurements for ease.
2 :
a cup of flour is about 110 grams.
3 :
Well, I am US and I do try to always be kind - so here is my answer: One pound of flour is roughly 3 1/2 cups and one pound equals 455 grams. So 455 divided by 3 1/2 = 130 grams per cup. Roughly. Here is more: All-purpose Flour and Confectioners' Sugar U.S. Cups Grams 1/8 cup 15 grams 1/4 cup 30 grams 1/3 cup 40 grams 3/8 cup 45 grams 1/2 cup 60 grams 5/8 cup 70 grams 2/3 cup 75 grams 3/4 cup 85 grams 7/8 cup 100 grams 1 cup 110 grams This is from a "Continental Cooking" Cookbook I often use.
4 :
Do you mean convert it to oz? I'm not sure what you need converting, esp. if you aren't using cups... but anyways, one ouce is equal to 28.35 g. Seems like a small cake recipe...
5 :
It should be easy to get the weight of the butter approximately right, just estimate the weight going by the overall weight of the butter in the pack (eg half a 250g pack). Then you could improvise a set of scales with eg a ruler, some string and some plastic bags. adjust the amounts of sugar and flour until they weigh the same as the butter and each other. good luck!
6 :
I know it probably a little to late, but there is a website that has very a very accurate weight/volume conversion program: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com Just click "conversions" on the menu bar at the top and the rest is self-explanatory.