Saturday, May 7, 2011

How long does it take to get the green card


How long does it take to get the green card?
I am on my way to california to marry my boyfriend. Once I get there and we get married, how long does it take after applying for the geren card. And if I get married with him over there, what are the chances that I have to go back to my coutry (Portugal) for the paper works? Or can I get the paper works done in the States?
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You may want to decide which way you are going to do this ..before you blunder on.... It look like you intend to travel on a Visa waiver with the intent of marriage and then adjusting status... Oops that illegal ..... think again ... Follow the flowcharts here for the correct way http://familybasedimmigration.com/forum/index.php
2 :
If he is american citizen your green card is quickly than he isn't citizen. While you are application you must stay in USA. Check the Immigration web. Greetings and good luck. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
3 :
Hey..I am from Colombia and got married with my husband (citizen) sent all my paperwork to USCIS 2 months after our marriage..I want to say overall the process took about 6 months...you do not have to return to your country while they approve your status their is no such thing...you are here in USA...you send all your paperwork to USCIS and wait for your biometrics appt...your EAD...interview and green card afterwards...good luck !
4 :
about 6 months to 1 year if you file everything timely. Whether you can stay depends what kind of visa you go. Not on visa waiver program. You cannot adjust your status while on a visa waiver program. So you should have at the minimum a B2 visa or better a fiance visa. If you do, you are OK.