Thursday, October 7, 2010

How do I get a visa to Portugal? I am an Indian passport holder staying in the US with a J1 visa


How do I get a visa to Portugal? I am an Indian passport holder staying in the US with a J1 visa.?
I called the Consulate General in NYC, but nobody answered. I am in Albany, NY. I am traveling to Portugal for a conference in the first week of Sept, 2009. Any info will be helpful. (I am planning to go directly to the consulate general in a week if nothing else works .)
Portugal - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Portugal is the Schengen country with the poorest online information about visa application. In general the requirements for a Schengen visa are similar however there may be local peculiarities which differ from country to country. Required documentation: • Schengen visa application form duly completed and signed by the applicant • two passport type photographs [35x45mm], in color and plain background • passport, valid for at least three months beyond the proposed stay • document evidence of the purpose of travel [statement of your studying institute; invitation of the Portuguese institute] • proof of the conditions of accommodation [hotel reservation] • proof of sufficient funds [bank statements]; at least €74.82 [~$110] plus €39.90 [~$59] per day of stay. • proof of travel health insurance which covers the costs arising from a repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or urgent hospital treatment, valid for the entire Schengen zone; the minimum coverage is €30,000 [$45,000]. For detailed requirements you should try to call during their [redicolous] operation hours or send an e-mail; alternately you could try to get information from the Newark consulate. New York Consul-General: Alexandre Manuel Galvão Mexia de Almeida Fernandes 590 Fifth Ave. - 3rd Floor New York, NY 10036 United States of America Opening hours: from 10 am to 2 pm Telephone: 1 212-221 31 65 Fax: 1 212-221 34 62 E-mail: mail@cgnyk.dgaccp.pt Newark Consul-General: Francisco Carlos Duarte Azevedo The Legal Center At one Riverfront Plaza, Main Floor Newark, New Jersey 07102-5414 United States of America Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 am to 1pm; Wednesday from 9 am to 5 pm Telephone: 1 973 643 4200 Fax: 1 973 643 39 00 E-mail: mail@cnnew.dgaccp.pt Edit: @Surbhi: Based on your answer I can tell you that you may apply up to three months before you plan to travel [common Schengen procedure]. Representatives of Portugal which issue visa are located at Washington D.C., Boston, Newark, New Bedford, New York, San Francisco, and Providence.
2 :
Hi Naveen, I am also an Indian passport holder with F1 visa. I need to go to Portugal for a conference in first week of Oct'09. It will be great if you can share any information you have with me. I am located at Kansas. I can't visit the consulate and calling them is'nt working. My main concern was if they have some deadline on the number of days in advance you need to apply before the visiting. Please, let me know if you have any information on this. Thanks :)