Monday, December 7, 2009

Will my ( european) computer work in USA


Will my ( european) computer work in USA ?
I'm going to the US for three months an I'm taking my computer and I heard that here in POrtugal the electricity works in 50Herzt ( or Ghertz, I don't know ) but in the US it works in 60 hertz. So, will I be able to charge the batteries of my computer there? If it doesn't, is there anything I can buy to "adapt the differences of hertz" ?
Other - Electronics - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Most laptops have universal 100- 240V power adaptors. If that's the case with your laptop, you only need a plastic adaptor to fit the power plug in a US outlet. They sell them at the airport and electronic stores.
2 :
It will work fine. All computers these days run directly off of DC, and the power supply units directly convert the incoming AC to DC, and the circuits they use to do that do not care about line frequency at all.
3 :
Check your users/owners manual to see if your laptop's battery charger can be used on 120 volts. If it can then you are all set. If not you will an power converter to change 120 volts to 230 volts. They can be bought at electronic stores and luggage shops. No need to be concerned about the currents frequency; it will be going through a full wave rectifier and converted to DC.